Vehicle Routing is a problem that many enterprises face on a daily basis: Find the best combination of routes for my vehicles to visit a number of locations. Solving the problem of Vehicle Routing can be of use for many different scenarios (freight delivery or pick-up, roundtrips for inspections, visits, public transportation, etc.) and have many different variations (w/ or w/o customer deadline, priority, freight weight, freight volume, return to depot/warehouse/headquarter, etc.)
Targomo offers a powerful REST interface for you to solve your vehicle routing problems
Primary use-cases for the Fleetplanner service:
The well-known Traveling Salesman Problem is a special case of the Vehicle Routing Problem: Here one “salesperson” wants to visit x places via the shortest/quickest route. This is a famously difficult problem in computer science since exponentially growing computation time is be required to find the optimal route. Popular use cases include maintenance roundtrips, customer on-site visits, and planning city tours.
Multi Traveling Salesperson
In many practical scenarios it makes sense to split up the work to be serviced by many “resources” instead of one. Since the “resources” can operate in parallel, all customers can be visited a lot earlier. To find optimal routes the service has to decide which “resource” visits which locations (and in which order). Popular use cases include maintenance visits, customer on-site visits, and planning public transportation routes.
PS: Multiple “resources” can also be used to split up the work sequentially, e.g. a facility manager is in charge of 20 locations and has to visit them once per week - he can use 5 “resources” instead of one to split his viewings up into 5 tours (one per work day).
Vehicle Routing with Customer Deadlines and Priorities
In many scenarios the route is not only determined by its duration but also by deadlines that need to be met: Customers that have a deadline coming up soon will have to be visited earlier, despite it not being the quickest path. The Route 360° Vehicle Routing Service will first try to avoid missing deadlines, and then attempt to improve the routing duration. If a trade-off becomes necessary (e.g. when not all deadlines can be met) the user of the service can assign a priority to each customer to ensure that higher priority deadlines are rather met than low priority deadlines (if this trade-off is necessary at all). That means for the optimization: meet high priority deadline > meet low priority deadline > total duration of routes
Vehicle Routing with Capacity Management
For Vehicle Routing use-cases where freight is picked-up or delivered it is important to not exceed each vehicle’s capacity. The service interface offers the possibility to specify each order’s weight and volume as well as each vehicle’s maximum weight/volume capacity. Popular use cases include transport or delivery companies.
- Includes Geocoding if coordinates of orders are not provided (extra run-time costs)
- Detailed routing plan can be calculated (extra run-time costs)
- Possible specification of route end points (finding the best route endpoint is part of the optimization)
- Possible specification of delivery deadlines for each order
- Possible specification of order/customer priorities
- Possible specification of weight and volume per order and vehicle
- Different types of transport selectable, e.g. car, bike, walk
- Multiple Vehicles and Depots/Warehouses allowed
- Timing Options to customize for the individual complexity of the problem
- Robust REST interface (many mitigation strategies, e.g. when the vehicle capacity is exceeded by the total of the orders’ weight and volume) → the service returns a solution if at all possible
contact us for more information about this service, or to request a more detailed demonstration
Check it out!
Find the optimised tour route around Amsterdam
Generate optimised routes for visiting locations - tourism sites in this case.